This blog post covers all the news and leaks about DJI Air 3 release date, specifications, and more. Last update: 11 June 2022.
DJI is the uncrowned king of the consumer and prosumer drone market. Since 2015, it has released newer drone models each year with consistency to keep its market share.
In the consumer drone category, DJI has now three distinct product lines.
- The Mavic series (Latest model: Mavic 3)
- The Air series (Latest model: Air 2s)
- The Mini series (Latest model: Mini 3 Pro)
The Air series sits somewhere between the more expensive Mavic series and the beginner’s friendly Mini series. Its latest model, the DJI Air 2s, which was released in April 2021 is already more than a year old.
Are there any news and rumors of an upcoming DJI Air 3? Well, for now, the discussion is limited to user speculations only. For now, no one knows when is the DJI Air 3 coming out.
Let’s discuss the possibilities and see if we can estimate the official release date for the DJI Air 3.
DJI Air 3 release date – Speculations
The current model – the DJI Air 2s – was released on April 15, 2021, almost a year after the previous model (DJI Air 2).
Judging by this timeline, the newer version should have hit the market this spring. But unfortunately, that didn’t happen.
The reasons were obvious. DJI released their flagship Mavic 3 and Mavic 3 Cine in fall 2021 and that buzz is still going on. The Mavic 3 is DJI’s most advanced offering and they don’t want a new product to steal its thunder.
Also, in May 2022 DJI released a new drone in the Mini series – the DJI Mini 3 Pro – which is aimed at the beginner end of the market.
With one flagship that is still going strong and a new drone that needs focused marketing in face of fierce competition, I don’t think spring 2022 was the best time for the new DJI Air 3.
But, DJI has no current plans for any major product update in the fall of 2022. The next version of the Mavic line – the DJI Mavic 3s is rumored to be released in Spring 2023 leaving the Nov slot open for one major product release.
If these speculations are true, the new DJI Air 3 might be released in November 2022.
Expected DJI Air 3 Specs
DJI Air 2s was a hot selling product and still is. With the hefty price tag of the Mavic 3, it is a great choice for people to get their hands on a decent drone without taking out a new mortgage on their house or selling their left kidney.
Before we speculate about the DJI Air 3 specifications, keep in mind the market segment DJI is targeting with the Air 3.
It is for mid-range users who are mostly hobbyists and travelers that want a decent enough drone (not necessarily cutting edge like the Mavic 3) at a decent price.
The Mini series falls short on many necessary features like follow me or a decent camera size. On the other hand, the Mavic line is a more expensive solution for those who have deeper pockets and won’t mind paying for cutting-edge features.
That’s why the DJI Air 3 will not surpass the Mavic line in features and price. Keeping that in mind, here are my predictions for the new DJI Air 3.
- DESIGN: I see no reason for a major design change. The current foldable design is pretty compact and works great. Apart from a few aesthetic changes to make the body sleeker, I don’t think we will see a major overhaul.
- COLORS: This is more of a wish than a prediction. With Apple giving a taste of new pastel colors to its like electronics to the users, I wish DJI would do the same and let people choose from a variety of cool colors.
- SIZE & WEIGHT: With evolving regulations in both US and the EU, a smaller drone with lower weight is always the goal as they are less prone to strict regulations in the future. DJI designs drones keeping in view their 4-5 years lifespan and any regulatory changes during that time. We might see a sub-500-gram design that falls under the EU ‘open category’
- CAMERA: For now, we don’t know much about the Mavic 3s sensor but if DJI is going to use a bigger sensor in the next Mavic 3s, we might also see a bigger lense in Air 3. Perhaps a 4/3 CMOS with a physical aperture?
I will keep updating this page with more news, leaks, and speculations when I know more. For now, keep flying your DJI Air 2s as it’s still the best for now.
- 【1-INCH IMAGE SENSOR】Equipped with a 1-inch image sensor and large 2.4μm pixels, DJI Air 2S is capable of 5.4K/30fps and 4K/60fps video.
- 【MASTERSHOTS】The next evolution of QuickShots, MasterShots is an advanced intelligent feature that gives users the best shots in any location with just a tap.
- 【THE CENTER OF ATTENTION】FocusTrack features Spotlight 2.0, ActiveTrack 4.0, and Point of Interest 3.0, making it a breeze for DJI Air 2S to follow or circle your subject.
- 【ONE BILLION COLORS】The 10-bit Dlog-M color profile can record up to one billion colors while retaining all the little details that make footage pop.
- 【7.5 MILES MAX VIDEO TRANSMISSION】DJI Air 2S features DJI's most advanced O3 (OcuSync 3.0) image transmission technology, giving you an ultra-smooth, clear, and reliable image feed every time you fly.
- 【ENVIRONMENT SENSING】DJI Air 2S has the ability to perceive its environment in four directions: up, down, forward, and backward, allowing it to actively avoid obstacles, even in complex scenarios and at high speeds.