Like your mobile phone, your GoPro needs to be updated regularly so that it has the latest firmware installed for optimum performance. Some updates are necessary to unlock and enable new features.
In this blog post, we are going to discuss how to update GoPro to its latest firmware version. The instructions in this guide are applicable on all GoPro models.
There are 3 methods that you can use to update GoPro firmware:
- Using the GoPro Mobile app
- Using the GoPro Quick desktop app
- Manual method to update GoPro firmware (works on all models)
I am going to give you step by step process to update your GoPro firmware using each of the above methods.
How to update GoPro – Prerequisites
- Make sure your Phone and GoPro has enough charge for the update. I usually fully charge my devices before any firmware update.
- Download and Install GoPro app on your phone (if you don’t already have it) and turn on Wifi, Bluetooth and GPS.
- You will need internet connection to download the update files. The files are usually less than 100 Mb and can be downloaded on cellular as well as Wifi network.
- You must have an SD card with enough empty space for the firmware files to load. Make sure you have a few hundred Mbs empty.
- Make sure your camera and phone are paird and connected. If this is your first time, follow this guide to pair your GoPro.
Once you make sure all the prerequsites are complete, you can use any of the beolow methods to update your GoPro firmware.
1. GoPro Firmware Update using Mobile app
This is probably the easiest and quickest way to update your GoPro. You can use this method to update the following models of GoPro and any upcoming models in the near future like the upcoming GoPro HERO 11 or GoPro Max 2
- GoPro Hero 10 Black
- GoPro Hero 9 Black
- GoPro Hero 8 Black
- GoPro Max
- GoPro Hero 7 (all variants)
- GoPro Fusion 360
- GoPro Hero (2018)
- GoPro Hero 6
- GoPro Hero 5
- GoPro Hero 4
- GoPro Hero 3+
- GoPro Family Hero+
- GoPro Hero Session
- Hero 4 Session
If your GoPro model is not on the list, you can use either the desktop app or manual method for the update (details below)
Follow the following steps to update your GoPro Camera via your GoPro mobile app.
- Download and install the GoPro app on your phone. For iPhone follow this link (Apple App Store) For Android, follow this link( Google Play Store). Or you can simply search “GoPro Quick” and you will find it.
- Prepare your GoPro for pairing: Open the utility drawer by swiping from the top to the bottom of the display, then select Preferences. Select Connections & then Connect Device. Tap on GoPro App to put your camera in pairing mode.
- On your phone turn on your Wifi, GPS & Bluetooth. Now, open the GoPro Quick app, select your Camera and tap Control your GoPro. If it fails to pair, change your Wifi setting from 5GHz to 2.4GHz and try again.
- Once the pairing is successful, you will receive a notification prompt on your phone screen that a firmware update is available (if your GoPro is not on latest firmware).
- Tap the Update Firmware button at the bottom and accept TOS prompt and your update will begin. Do not turn your GoPro or Phone off till the update is finished.
Once the update is finished, your GoPro will restart with the latest firmware.
Note: The process of pairing GoPro and your Phone will vary a little depending on your phone OS (iPhone vs Android) and your GoPro model but the process is quite similar.
Share this Image On Your Site
2. Firmware update using GoPro Quick desktop app
You can use the legacy GoPro Quick desktop app to update the firmware for the following models:
- HERO7 Cameras
- HERO6 Camera
- HERO5 Cameras
- HERO4 Cameras
- HERO3+ Cameras
- HERO/HERO+ Cameras
Follow the below step by step process to update your GoPro firmware to the latest version.
- Download and install the GoPro Quick Desktop app on your computer. It is available for both Windows and Mac. You can find the latest version HERE
- Turn on and connect your GoPro to your computer (or laptop whatever you are using) using the data cable that came with it. Once connected, the GoPro Quick app will launch itself.
- If an update is available and your GoPro firmware is outdated, the Quick desktop app will promp you to update your camera to the latest version.
- Follow the easy on screen instructions to download and install the latest firmware on your GoPro.
During the update process, your GoPro will restart a few times. Do not disconnect or power off either of the devices till the update is finished.
3. Firmware update using manual method
For any reasons, if the above two methods of firmware update don’t work for you, here is a 3rd method that you can use to update your GoPro software.
For older versions of GoPro, the update via app methods don’t work so this 3rd method is the only way. But you can use this to update software for any GoPro device; new or old.
You will need a computer, a fully formatted SD card and an active internet connection. Follow the below steps to get this done.
- Go to the GoPro Software update page (link) and find your GoPro model from the list of products. Click on your GoPro model and open its page.
- Find Update your camera manually option on the page and click it (see image below)
- On the next page, it will ask for your camera 14-Digit Serial Number. You can find your serial number inside the battery compartment. Input your serial number and e-mail and click Next Step
- On the next page, you will see the Download Update button on top with instructions on how to download and install the updates. Download the Update.zip file to your computer.
- Once the file is downloaded, double click to unzip the file. You will get a folder named “UPDATE”
- Connect your SD card to your computer via card reader and Copy & paste the UPDATE folder to its root [important: do not copy the update.zip file. Copy the extracted UPDATE folder]
- Now, turn your GoPro off and insert the SD card in the card slot. Turn ON your camera.
- Your GoPro will recognize the update folder in the SD card and will automatically start the firmware update process.
- Wait till the update is finished. Your GoPro will restart a few times during the update process.
Once finished, you can delete the UPDATE folder from your SD card and can start using your GoPro with the latest software.
Here is a video demonstration of the manual method.
I hope you find this article helpful. If you have any questions or run into any problem during the update, please leave a comment below or contact me and i will help you out.
Happy filming 🙂